15 January 2008

Headaches....

Don't know if I've posted about this before, but I get some awful terrible, migraine-like headaches. I never knew what they were from. So last summer, I changed dentists and went to my first checkup at the new one. One of the first things the dental hygeinist asked me was if I wake up with neck pain and do I get a lot of headaches. I said 'yeeaahhh....why??' She said, 'Because you have a lot of wear on your teeth. You clench and grind your teeth at night.' Really?? So, she said that I can get a night guard from them that will keep my teeth apart so I can't clench my teeth and that my teeth will slide on when they do meet. It was Very expensive so I didn't do it. I got an inexpensive night guard from Walgreens and started wearing it. My headaches went away. For a while. Then they started coming back. So at my next appointment I told them about it. They said, 'Yeah, we used to recommend those ones until we discovered what they do.' The thing that goes in between your teeth that keeps them apart that you bite down on is somewhat soft. It's made out of silicone or something and it has some give. So at FIRST your jaw isn't used to it and it helps and the headaches go away for a while. THEN your jaw gets used to it and it's essentially exercising itself on the squishy bite pads and getting STRONGER! So then your headaches can be Worse than they were before! So great. So I stopped wearing it and I am breaking down and getting the expensive dentist one. I have an appointment at 230 tomorrow afternoon to get the molds done. I don't know how long it takes to come in, but I can't wait! I've been getting headaches every other day or every few days now. Its terrible!! So yay!! I can't wait to not have headaches!

2 comments:

joanne said...

Yay! No more headaches! I read your comment about the pedicures. Pedicures ROCK!!!

When's your birthday? I'll get you a pedicure for your birthday!!

joanne said...

HEY! Why haven't you posted lately?